Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bench Transformation


A few months ago my sister-in-law sent me an email with information about an old and very weathered bench some friends of hers were getting rid of.  She knows I like to take old stuff and try to give it new life so asked if I was interested.  Was I!!  After making arrangements to pick it up Kevin and I brought it home and I gave Cameron the task of cleaning and sanding the bench.

Bench after arrival - needs some TLC


I thought at first I might try to just clean up and improve the wood and leave a natural finish, the wood though was really too damaged. It sucked up linseed oil like mad and didn't look the slightest bit better.  So after letting that absorb and sit for a bit, I cleaned it again and decided to just paint the bench. 

Cameron sanding the bench for me, not my favorite job so glad for his help


I used Rustoleum White on the metal, then just brushed on a few coats of glossy white on the wood.

Here it is.  Think it looks much better.


It still has the charm of an old bench, but the cleaned up look works and the coatings of paint on the wood now makes it useable as well as nicer looking.  All I need now are some outdoor pillows and it will be all set.  Better break out my sewing machine.

3 comments: