Monday, April 16, 2012

No Whining Zone



Since our computer system router died on Friday (so no internet)  and we needed to wait for a new one to arrive, which Verizon graciously overnighted for a Saturaday afternoon arrival.  I had no excuse other than to get to my next project.  The dreaded homeschool cabinet!!!

Now mind you we have other more organized storage areas for books, videos and materials, but this is the cabinet that our daily lessons come from. I will routinely straighten it, but I have lots of help putting materials away and my "helpers" are not so worried about being organized.  In preparation I hit Walmart for some storage containers that even the girls could pull out and be able to put back in order.
As I opened the cabinet I did have one of those "what was I thinking? " moments.  Yes, this needed to be done. Yes, it will be so much better once complete, but ugh this is not how I want to spend my Saturday.

It was this very lack of enthusiasm and  procrastination that let it get so bad in the first place.




So after pulling everything out, sorting, discarding and taking the time to pull samples of the girls work for filing along with grades. I then made container's for each of the girl's current workbooks.  Threw out all the dried up pens and pencils so small they were useless. I placed in containers and labeled the flashcards, magnetic letters and phonics pieces as well as the math manipulatives for easy location and use.  And finally we have this:





Having the containers instead of seperate stacks I've had in the past, I do believe we will be able to maintain far more order than we've had.  As I finished Hannah called me in to look at her coloring and craft boxes that she had decided to clean up and clear out "just like you, Mom!"  Hey, maybe this has been time well spent? !!


5 comments:

  1. You both did a fabulous job!!! It looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne - You're always such an encourager!

      Delete
  2. What a transformation. I usually keep my things in order, habit I am used to from a young age. On the other hand, my brother loves to mess up his room and poor mom has to run behind him and keep all the stuffs in his room in order...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oops wasn't paying attention as I typed and completely missed my thought, will begin again. I was trying to say I refuse to clean my son's room. I just begin nagging when it gets really out of control! : ) His version of clean and mine are totally different.

      Delete